I know I sound like a broken record but…we did it again! We had another record-breaking attendance last weekend. There were 1,046 children in our Kidz Connection last weekend and of that 388 of the children were in our Early Childhood classrooms. Plus the new Sunday night 5:45pm service has become one of our second busiest services. Thank you SO much for your dedication and commitment to His little ones!
It takes a over 100 of our team members EVERY WEEKEND to have all our of Early Childhood rooms open for the Parkview families. It is so exciting to see what God continues to do at Parkview!
Please help me celebrate Volunteer of the Week…Cassidy Cozen! You can meet and learn more about Cassidy here…https://parkviewec.wordpress.com/meet-the-ec-team-volunteers-of-the-week/
This weekend Lisa provided in the curriculum a fun book to read so let’s look at some tips to remember or try…..
Children love story time, it’s a great closing activiy! Great storytelling skills are not necessary, just enthusiasm!
- Use the defined carpet area for children to sit. Children like to know where their physical boundaries are.
- Discuss the cover with the children. What can we see? What might the book be about? Who is the author and illustrator? The length of this discussion will depend on the age of the children and discussion skills.
- Use a loud clear voice and adopt different voices and tones to portray different characters and feelings.
- Pause throughout the story to add a comment or allow children to comment and predict. Keep it simple to start with such as “Oh I can see Tom feels really sad, see his sad face”, add more complex questions if children can cope with discussion during the story, “What do you think made him feel sad”.
- After the story allow children to comment on what they liked, what happened, to make alternate endings and to recall the story progression. The possibilities are endless. Most of all have FUN!
What storytelling tips do YOU have? Feel free to leave a comment on our blog and share with our Early Childhood community, we’d LOVE to hear from you!!! Scroll back up to the top of this article and click on the ‘leave a comment’ link. : )